July 6, 2011

Historicity and governance

I'm perplexed by this potential action. OTOH, I think obviously, yes, definitely, since the Republican Party does not seem to be willing to act responsibly on the obligations of the government, then cool, this will keep it going. (It will also of course Totally Freak Out the already unhinged far-right. I sense bad things in response.)

But OTOH, the rationale (Article 4 of the 14th Amendment) is so clearly and specifically geared toward one specific thing, namely the War to Save the Union. It was passed, Foner tells us, to prohibit payment of Confederate debt, and also to compel Southern contributions to the Union's debt. Clearly this was written with a specific intent, and thus could be argued on both Constitutional sides. I'm unsure where I come down on this one.